The Dirt on Dry Shampoo

March 22, 2012

Dry shampoo brands // Style Me Thrifty

Ladies, let’s talk about dry shampoo — the world’s sneakiest beauty product.

When I first heard the term dry shampoo, I was uber skeptical and well, just plain confused (how can shampoo be dry?!). But with a little practice, I’m officially hooked and now a walking advertisement for dry shampoo. Let’s break down my love for this time-saving product:

Dry shampoo comes in spray can and is applied to your hair without water (yay, shorter showers!), soaking up grease and oil. It’s a genius way of extending the life of a blow-out when all you need is a touch up to your roots. Think of it as baby powder’s more mature sister. My college roommates and I swore by using baby powder in our hair (we were lazy), but it never quite rubbed in all the way, leaving a white residue. You won’t have that problem with dry shampoo.

How to apply: Just spray the greasy areas — for me, that’s right around my hairline — and massage it into your scalp with your fingers until the powder-like substance blends in. The oil is soaked up and you’re left with a fresh-smelling head of hair.

My #1 tip when applying: don’t be shy — spray with reckless abandon. Okay, maybe that’s a little extreme, but dry shampoo works best when you spray generously. Just go for it, otherwise you won’t notice a difference.

In case you’re still skeptical, here are before and after photos. Note: don’t judge my greasy before shot. It’s been hot and humid in DC this week!

Dry Shampoo // Style Me Thrfty

Style Me Thrifty Recommendation: Got 2b Rockin’ It Dry Shampoo
Runner up: Pssst Instant Spray Shampoo
*Both are under $7!

Have you tried dry shampoo? Any favorite brands or techniques to recommend? Let me know in the comments section!

—————
You might also like:
Speed Up Your Morning Beauty Routine
Hair Tutorial: Loose Waves

26 Comments

1. I want to like dry shampoo so badly! First I tried Tresemme, but by the end of the day my hair smelled funny and it felt like it had a film over it. Then I tried the Bumble and Bumble kind for blonde hair…I liked how this one made my hair look and feel. But it’s tinted and makes a mess where you spray it. (And it’s expensive)

I think I need to try the kind you suggested!

2. Rebecca

/  March 22, 2012

I just ordered some as part of my great hair product experiment of 2012! My hair woman suggested Klorane Dry Shampoo. I’ll let you know what I think!

3. Amber Westerson

/  March 22, 2012

I am a dry shampoo FANATIC!!!! The Got 2B Rockin is very good…but my very favorite is KMS Hairplay Makeover Spray. It smells minty and works the BEST!!! I just love it! It’s slightly more expensive than Got 2B (about $15 – $17 a bottle) but SO worth it! Love!!!!!

4. I’m practically running out to buy this stuff as we speak! Your before and after photos completely sold me! Thanks for this!

~M.

fadedmstyle.com

5. Great post–I’m convinced to try dry shampoo again. :-) I also tried the Tresemme one like Tulle and Trinkets and was disappointed by how gummy it felt in my hair. I think I can swing $7 to try Got 2b!

6. I’ve tried a few but not any I’ve liked – will have to try these for sure! Love your tips!

7. Krystal

/  March 27, 2012

I’ve been nervous to try it, but definitely need it in this hot, humid, Texas weather!! Thanks for the review – I’m going to pick some up tonight!

8. you know, i’ve been toying with the idea of trying this for a while now. your before and after pics just convinced me to give it a shot. good for the summer months! thanks!

9. I LOVE dry shampoo – it’s all I used when my son was first born, I didn’t ahve time to wash my hair every other day. Now it’s great for that bit of grease build up, or if you have bangs like me you have to keep them fresh!

10. Meghan

/  April 27, 2012

Hey Madeline,
    I love your site! This is a really great post. I’ll be following. :)
    ~Meghan from PR at Partners

11. I don’t know if you have it in the States but I use Batiste Dry Shampoo (I’m in England) and it’s the best one I’ve found. It costs like £1.99… I tried Tresemme, because it’s slightly more expensive I expected better results, but it was dreadful! Batiste is by far the best I’ve used – and they have specific ones for blondes, brunettes, and all kinds of fragrances!

• I haven’t seen Batiste in my local drug store, but it looks like Amazon sells it. Score! I’ll be adding this to my shopping cart. Thanks for the reco!

12. Kimberley

/  August 27, 2012

Okay, months behind on this, but I finally bought the B2B dry shampoo based on your recommendation. So glad I tried it. I have Strawberry brown hair, so I do need to work it in well, since it does leave some dull, greyish spots otherwise. And love the price since I’d previously bought Bumble & Bumble’s version for redheads and always burned through it so crazy fast.
    Thanks yet again, SMT!

• You’re welcome, Kimberley! Glad it’s working out. I also have to rub it in pretty hard, too, to get rid of the white spots, but it’s worth it!

13. Eva

/  September 10, 2012

So is the “PSSST” one really good?? It’s just soo cheap, I need another opinion on it (: Thanks!

• Yes! Pssst is great. If you are just going to try one though, I actually prefer Got2b. It seems to work better in my hair and blends in a bit easier than Pssst. Let me know how you like it!